You’ve decided to make the move to assisted living, but how do you choose the right community? Depending on the number of assisted living communities in your area, this decision can seem just about as daunting as whether or not to move at all. We can help you make the process easier with tips on what to look for and what to ask when touring an assisted living community.
Before You Tour
Assisted living communities today offer a wide range of services and amenities which is likely one of the reasons you choose to move. But when comparing communities, all the options can begin to run together and make your head spin. That’s why it’s so important to do some prep work before you tour an assisted living community. This involves prioritizing your wants and needs. Here’s what you should consider:
- Must-haves like a particular location, a community that’s pet friendly or that has private apartments, and, one that’s within your budget.
- Preferences like having a full kitchen versus a kitchenette, a community that has plenty of outdoor space, or some utilities included in the monthly rent, for example.
- Nice-to-haves such as concierge services, a 24-hour fitness center, multiple dining venues, or private transportation.
Touring an Assisted Living Community
Now you should ideally be able to narrow your search down to two or three communities that you’d like to tour. To more easily compare when you tour an assisted living community, make sure you’re looking for the same things and asking the same questions at each. We suggest the following:
Accommodations and Campus
- What accommodations are available? Do they have both private and semi-private options? What are the differences in cost for each?
- Can you tour the different types of spaces available?
- Can residents personalize their space?
- Is the assisted living community well maintained?
- How do you feel about the appearance, comfort, and cleanliness of the accommodations as well as the dining, common, and outdoor areas?
Lifestyle and Wellness
- Does the menu have a variety of nutritious and appealing offerings? Can you sample the food?
- Do they accommodate special dietary restrictions or requests?
- What programs (exercise, wellness, enrichment, social, and other activities) are offered?
- How often do residents leave the assisted living community for outside activities?
- How often are housekeeping and laundry services provided?
- Are there enough amenities available? Are there ample opportunities to socialize?
- How often can friends and family visit? Are there common and private spaces to gather with them?
- Is the assisted living community pet-friendly?
Staff and Care
- What level of daily assistance can residents expect?
- What qualifications are required for the assisted living staff?
- Are staff members offered additional and/or continuous training opportunities?
- What is the staff-to-resident ratio during the day and at night?
- How do staff members interact with residents and you? Do they seem friendly and compassionate?
- Does the assisted living community accommodate special needs, such as diabetic care?
- How does the community handle medical emergencies?
- How is the assisted living community secured?
- What safety features are available?
- Is transportation offered?
- What are the monthly costs for housing and care?
- What services are included in those costs?
Download our Just the Facts Guide to Assisted Living guide today to learn more!